Ancient and modern
   
 
Ruifuxiang

Opened in 1862 (the second year of Tongzhi reign in the Qing Dynasty), this shop deals in textiles. The name implies ‘good luck and accumulation of wealth’. It was the leading shop of the Eight Xiangs, or eight shops whose names contain the word Xiang (Ruifuxiang, Ruilinxiang, Ruishengxiang, Ruichengxiang, Qianxiangyi, Yihexiang, Dongshengxiang, and Lifengxiang). An old Beijing ballad, which goes ‘a Majuyuan hat, a Ruifuxiang dress, and a pair of Neiliansheng shoes’, reflects the shop’s high reputation. (by Zhu Kai)

Website:http://www.ruifuxiang.cn